Monday, August 9, 2010

New weekly challenge!

Hi everyone! For the first seven months of the year I took challenges out of the book by Elizabeth Kartchner, 52 More Scrapbooking Challenges. Last month was the last month in that series, so closing that series of challenges and moving on to my more random, personal challenges. :D

I'm excited to bring you today's challenge. I took your comments from the forum when I asked your opinions about challenges and kinda combined a bunch of them together. This is what I came up with:

Check out this ad from a House Beautiful magazine:


What do you like about it? Does it inspire you in any way? My first impression when looking at it, was the color palette. I loved the gray/tan/dark brown/yellow combination. Liked it A LOT! Then I noticed that you could see a page design in it as well, so I sketched this:

Keep in mind that I am in NO WAY a sketch artist! Whoa, this is a rough looking sketch! But, it gave me a starting point, right? So, then I looked through some of my past Paper Posies kits and didn't have to look far to decide that the July 2010 kit would be perfect for what I had in mind. I honestly didn't have much more than scraps left of that kit, so I added two sheets of cardstock - a grey and a a brown - to the mix and it worked out perfectly. I also decided to scrap some pictures of my dh and his new car from about 8 years ago. It was a big event for him, an this color scheme seemed to fit the bill quite nicely. What do you think?


As a side note, I had a lot of fun making the little accent flower in the bottom right hand corner. I saw on a blog somewhere that somebody had made a flower with the Pink Paislee tape (I apologize for not remembering who or what or how), so I tried my hand at it. I punched out a circle, tore of strips of tape and kinda gathered them around the circle in pleats and layers. I then added a MM silver brad in the middle to finish it off. Here's a close-up:



Soooo, after that long explanation, I come to the challenge! Go back and look at the original ad... look at my sketch... and remind yourself of the tan/grey/dark brown/yellow color scheme. See how those three things inspire you. Then, look through your pictures and your Paper Posies kit and do a layout! If only one of the elements inspire you, use it! If all of them do, go for it! If somehow you're inspired in a way that I didn't mention, let me know what it is and then create a layout based on it! Just let yourself be inspired and create. :)


Remember, layouts for this challenge are due next Sunday night (8/151/10), 11:59 PST, and linked to us in the PP Challenge forum. Also, please use a Paper Posies kit, any kit will do!

Have fun!

MaryAnn

No comments:

Post a Comment