Monday, March 8, 2010

Complementary Challenge (week of 3/8/10)

It's Monday... and you all know what that means, right? It's time for another Paper Posies Challenge!

As I mentioned the last couple of months, I'm taking all of this year's challenges from the book 52 More Scrapbooking Challenges by Elizabeth Kartchner. This month we're working in the third section labeled "design & color." There's a lot of different options talked about in this chapter, but I chose the following challenge to bring to you (from page 57 of the book):

"Go Fishing for Complements"


In this section Elizabeth talks about how every color has its own complementary color - which is the hue directly opposite it on the color wheel. She mentions that pairing complementary colors is a "no-fail choice for injecting energy and contrast into your designs."

If you don't have a color wheel handy, I found a link that shows you a basic color wheel here. You'll find that you'll probably recognize a lot of popular color complementary schemes - red and green, orange and blue, yellow and purple. Of course, you can always use the different hues of the main colors too - lime green and pink for instance... It's really a great way to mix and match your papers to make a starting point for your layout.

I chose to work with green and red for my sample layout. Now, I know that traditionally we think of red and green as being Christmas colors, but they really can work with everyday photos too. One thing to remember though - when you decide to go with a pair of complementary colors, that doesn't mean those are the ONLY two colors you can use, feel free to add a little bit of additional accent colors. :) I chose to add in a little yellow and brown to my layout.

Onto the challenge...

Pick a pair of complementary colors. Use them as a basis for your layout. Adding a few additional accent colors is okay in small doses. ;) And be sure and use a Paper Posies kit. It doesn't have to be the most recent kit either... I used scraps from the July, '09 kit for my example.

Have your layout loaded up in the PP March Challenge gallery by Sunday, March 14th.

Have fun! I can't wait to see your creations!

No comments:

Post a Comment